Here at Elysian, we understand your need to spread your wings and understand your true purpose through travel. Travel can bring a sense of enlightenment and freedom to people helping them to live in the present. Travel can open your mind and enable you to become eager to learn more about the world and the different cultures that have thrived throughout time. When travelling, you become knowledgeable and more understanding of the uniqueness of people around the globe.
But sometimes, it’s good to do it alone. You might think that travelling alone can add to making you anxious, but it’s actually an ideal stepping stone to brave the world and teach us about how we can overcome more challenges – in a fun way. It also helps you get to know more people and explore their culture through their eyes fuelling a passion to learn more. Here are tips for your first ever solo travel:
- Use your personality to your advantage. Ideally, the best way to enjoy your first solo travel is to learn more about their culture and lifestyle, so making a connection is basically a necessary thing. Who knows? You could even make a lifetime friend. But the important thing is – never force yourself to do things you don’t enjoy doing. Do you like to socialise? Go out and talk with these people and learn more from them first hand. Are you shy? Watch them from a distance and soak in the sights by yourself, then if you want to take a big step, start small talk with lone locals and to build your confidence when conversing.
- Don’t go for fancy hotels. Travelling alone means you have to spend more and can’t cut costs with anyone. The smartest thing to do when you’re abroad is to look for cheap but trusty accommodation you stay for a while. The best part about shared accommodations is getting to know the people you share it with. Just make sure you read the reviews carefully… we like Tripadvisor for this.
- Learn to enjoy your solitude. You might be the kind of person wherein you want to be surrounded by friends all the time since they’re your comfort, but it’s also important to enjoy your own company. Through travelling alone, you will be able to appreciate your own company and do things alone – maybe discover something new about yourself. Through solitude, you will be able to learn how to make friends by yourself – and maybe enjoy things you’ve always wanted to do.
- Take more selfies. The best way to revel in these memories is to take selfies! Tons of it! It’s the best way to immortalise your memories and even impart it to your next generation. Through your selfies, you will be able to show them a side of yourself that they never knew existed.
- You’re the boss. The best way to enjoy your trip is to take your time in places you actually enjoy. No more people trying to rush you when you’re indulging the sights and no more forced attractions you don’t really feel like going to. You can go to places you really like and enjoy the food you want to try without peer pressure. It’s liberating to enjoy your travels without pressure to at things you don’t feel like!
- Never fully trust anyone. As sad as this sounds, most of the most interesting and charming people are trained to deceive you and eventually try to either rob you or worse. When you mingle with someone, make sure you never leave drinks or food unguarded. Always bring your valuables with you wherever you go and drink moderately. Ideally notify your family back home about your itinerary and changes to plans. Have the local police and emergency number in your phone and never leave without your phone fully charged. Precaution is the best form of safety!